2015 - 2016
This programme was based in the Boroughs of Earlsfield and Brent in London.
Official studies show teenage girls aged 14-16 have the lowest participation in sport. Read more here
The poorest boroughs of London are particularly affected by this as the young girls are not encouraged to play sport from their peers, parents or due to cost.
- Our 2015 pilot study In London identified a need for more after-school sports programmes for teenage girls and basketball was the most popular sport identified
Play for Change developed a 4 stage basketball programme in 4 schools in Brent and Wandsworth, with 80 girls aged 11-16 participating
- Professional basketball coaching weekly during term time for an hour and half
- Inspirational talks; including Bonita Norris, mountaineer & explorer, to Purple Carrot, nutritionist
- Opportunity to qualify as a Level 1 or apprentice basketball coach though Basketball England
- Participation in the Slam Dunk League